IDEALS(sm) : Emerging Innovative Augmented Digital Library Services

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Jan 16 11:43:22 EST 2002

                                     IDEALS(sm)
  A Registry of Emerging Innovative Augmented Digital Library Services

   As a Child of the Fifties

[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000032NA/qid=1011197431/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_19_4/102-8823609-7344124 ]

   I remain awestruck by the advances in information technology in libraries (and elsewhere)[Believe It or Not, for me it's all very much Science Fiction!]

    To commemorate my forthcoming 50+ birthday [Yep, I'm that old [:-(],
I'm pleased to announce the establishment of a new registry devoted to
"Emerging Innovative Augmented Digital Library Services" called IDEALS(sm). IDEALS(sm) is located at:

   [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/IDEALS.htm]

[Yep, ANOTHER registry [:-)]

IDEALS(sm) is

<QUOTE>

a categorized registry of emerging innovative library services that enhance patron access, use, or manipulation of information resources made available by a library or similar organizational unit within a digital framework

</QUOTE>

     Currently, I've identified several categories and a few select examples for some. To fully develop IDEALS(sm) ,I would appreciate suggestions for technology categories or applications and /or examples of each. Presently I have the following categories:

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

| BOOK RENEWAL | COMPUTER LAPTOP LOAN | DIGITIZATION SERVICES | E-MAIL NOTIFICATION | NETWORK PORTS | PERSONALIZED INTERFACES | OFFICE SOFTWARE | PORTABLE DIGITAL ASSISTANTS (PDAs) | PUBLIC SCANNERS | UNMEDIATED DOCUMENT DELIVERY | WIRELESS | ZIP DRIVES

PUBLIC SERVICES

| DATABASE ADVISORS | INTERLIBRARY LOAN DESKTOP ACCESS | VIRTUAL TOURS |

  Please note that the focus of IDEALS(sm) is

"emerging innovative library services that enhance patron access, use, or manipulation of information resources made available by a library or similar organizational unit within a digital framework"

[I am NOT interested in technological trends per say BUT their application in libraries that "enhance patron access, use, and manipulation" /   I am aware of the Top Technology Trends site from LITA

 ( http://www.lita.org/committe/toptech/mainpage.htm)]

An IDEAL example [:-)] of an IDEALS(sm) library technology application currently offered is  'real-time digital reference services' as listed and documented in  my LiveRef(sm) registry

  [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/LiveRef.htm ]

[LiveRef(sm) will remain a separate registry from IDEALS(sm), although
IDEALS(sm) is linked to LiveRef(sm]

BTW: I am in the process of updating LiveRef(sm) and am interested in candidates or literature not presently listed.

  As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, questions, critiques, Cosmic Insights, or accounting audits, etc. are Most Welcome, including *relevant literature*

  I'm PARTICULARLY interested in any relevant IDEALS(sm) that ALA mid-Winterers discover.

[BTW: IDEALS(sm) includes several Library Database Advisors

   [ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0112/0257.html ]

that I've identified to date]

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Fifties Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

           "The Best Way To Predict the Future is Invent It!
                                                      Alan Kay