1901 England/Wales census now available online

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 2 09:42:21 EST 2002

Good morning,

I thought an excerpt from this morning's ResearchBuzz might be of
some interest.

best,

Tara
ResearchBuzz -- Search engine, database,
and online collection news since 1998!
http://www.researchbuzz.com

---

1901 Census for England and Wales Published Online

Hey hey! The 1901 Census for England and Wales is now
available at http://www.census.pro.gov.uk .
Unfortunately due to heavy demand the site is
only intermittently available, but I was able
to get through after a couple of tries.

You're able to search by first name, last name, gender,
age +/- years (for example, I can search for Wodehouse,
age 20, +/- five years) where born, and place keywords. You
may choose to have 20, 30, or 40 search results per
page. The advanced search allows you to also include
marital status, occupation, and relation to head
of the family. There are also searches for
places (rural districts, civil parishes, etc) institutions
(hospitals, barracks), and vessels (naval or merchant.)
Searching for a Wodehouse, male, age 20 plus or minus five
years finds a Pelham Wodehouse, born in
Guildford, Surrey, 19 years old, working as an assistant.
Cool!

Search results gives you a table that includes name,
age, where born, administrative county, civil parish, and
occupation. Click on a name and you'll discover
that getting more details will require paying some
money. I recommend against doing that until their
server load slows down a little.

Using this site is EXTREMELY slow right now, but the
prospect of 32 million names from the England Wales
census of 1901 is really exciting. Worth a look, but
you'll have to be very patient.