FW: RE: Kazaa/Morpheus/et.al.

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:06:59 EST 2002

--On Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:21 AM -0800 Dan Lester
<dan at riverofdata.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the comments so far.  I may not have communicated clearly
> in my first message.  We have the ABILITY to block Kazaa or anything
> else with Packeteer.  We don't have the PERMISSION to do so due to
> campus politics, the "rights" of the dorm students to have
> unrestricted acces, and so forth.  To a certain extent we're dealing
> with dueling VPs.
>
> What I'm MOST interested in is not the technology, but if any of you
> in academic libraries have dealt with the politics, if any.  Or, if
> you have any policies or documents, on the web or elsewhere that I
> could see, that address this.

This is covered under our network Acceptable Use Policy in a number of
ways.  Without even examining the traffic to determine whether there are
copyright volations going on, someone sucking up all available bandwidth
is already violating our "no individual should make use of computer
resources in any manner that interferes with the ability of others to
make equal use of those same resources" clause.  We had to go after
someone last year using a P2P application consuming the vast majority of
our WAN link to the main campus.

  <http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/network-policy.html>

Good luck creating/enforcing your policies...

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut