[WEB4LIB] Re: Kazaa/Morpheus/et.al.

Tom Klingler tk at kent.edu
Thu Jan 31 09:28:15 EST 2002

We're also avid users and big fans of Packetshaper at Kent State.
Our network shop runs all of our internet traffice through this
magical tool.  Otherwise the dorm-folks peg everything and nobody
else gets any work or research done.

Tom Klingler
Kent State

At 6:13 AM -0800 1/31/02, Peter Murray wrote:
>--On Wednesday, January 30, 2002 5:12 PM -0800 Dan Lester
><dan at riverofdata.com> wrote:
>>  I don't want to embroil the rest of you in campus issues, but am
>>  wondering how others have dealt with this.  Have you blocked the Kazaa
>>  traffic at all times, at certain times, or never?  Have you limited
>>  the amount of bandwidth that you permit that traffic to use?  Have you
>>  done something else?
>
>I believe our campus uses a product called Packetshaper from Packeteer to
>control network usage.  The product sits between your Internet connection
>and your LAN, and controls bandwidth consumption based on user, protocol,
>application, and other parameters.
>
>   <http://www.packeteer.com/products/packetshaper/>
>
>So one could limit P2P traffic to a certain rate or allow one user to
>only consume a certain fraction of the bandwidth, and allow the rest of
>the network to use the remainder of the connection.
>

>Peter
>--
>Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
>University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut

Tom Klingler
Assistant Dean for Systems
Libraries & Media Services
Library, Room 383