Printing Elsevier E-Journals on HP 81xx Printers

Howard Pasternack Howard_Pasternack at brown.edu
Mon Jan 28 11:34:53 EST 2002

At Brown University we have identified three electronic journals from
Elsevier that cause our Hewlett Packard 81xx printers to lock up in the
"Processing Job" state -- The Journal of Affective Disorders, New
Astronomy, and Journal of Chromatography A. The Journal of Affective
Disorders appears to be the most problematic.  We are wondering if anyone
else is experiencing similar problems.  Elsevier claims the problem is
local to our site.

The problematic PDFs will print when using PCL 5e and PCL 6 print drivers
(prefaced by 2-3 pages of garbage), they will print when the "print as
image" option is selected (takes 5 times as long to print), and also print
when using Postscript level 1 print drivers (also not desirable, as it is
an almost obsolete print language and doesn't support many of the newer
features of Postscript level 2). We've isolated the problem down to an
incompatibility between the HP 81xx series printer and the PDFs from the
aforementioned electronic journals. Thus far, we've updated the firmware in
the Jet Direct cards, updated all the printer drivers to the latest and
greatest, updated Acrobat reader to the latest version, updated both IE
(6.0) and Netscape (4.79) to the latest version, printed directly to the
printer via a high-density parallel cable, and tried fiddling with all of
the setting in the aforementioned software packages. The PDFs print fine
when sent to other HP printers in the library, even the lower end 1200n
printers.

Any advice or thoughts or similar experiences with this.  We're reaching
the point of considering unsubscribing from the journals because of the
hassle involved in using Netware to free up the printers once they get
stuck on the three journals.  -- Howard

Howard Pasternack
Library Systems Officer
Brown University Library	E-mail:	Howard_Pasternack at brown.edu
Box A				Phone:  (401) 863-3346
Providence, RI 02912		Fax:    	(401) 863-9639