[WEB4LIB] Re: Question on mouseovers

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jan 24 17:08:43 EST 2002

At 04:42 PM 1/24/2002, you wrote:
>These days, there really needs to be a test for the W3C DOM.  I'm not an
>expert, but what I copied and pasted from Those Who Know is a test for
>document.getElementsByTagName("*")--excluding Netscape 4, which apparently
>claims wrongly to understand this.
>

>Thomas Dowling
>OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
>tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Unfortunately, the advice I was given on this from the nice folks at
Mozilla.org was, since DOM compliance is still incomplete for many browsers
the recommended solution is to test for the specific DOM methods you
use.  Thus, when I was working on a script that displays a digital clock I
had to test for document.getElementByID() to determine if I could use that
method.

BTW, If you want to see my clock in action it's at http://digilib.cwru.edu/.

D. Keith Higgs. Email: dkh2 at po.cwru.edu, dkhiggs at yahoo.com
Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
More Info: http://www.cwru.edu/UL/pershomepages/K_Higgs.html
"'C' is for Cookie, that's good enough for me."