[WEB4LIB] Resetting monitor out of frequency tolerance

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Thu Jan 24 12:09:56 EST 2002

> This one I don't know who to ask exactly. Someone reset the refresh
> frequency on one of the monitors on a PAC station to 93Hz, which is
> outside the monitor's tolerance range (max 90Hz). Consequently, it now
> automatically shuts down right after the blue boot up screen before
> Windows opens. I've tried a couple older monitors, in hopes they are
> more tolerant, but no such luck. If I could get to the Windows desktop,
> I could easily reset the refresh frequency, but I can't get there. It's
> very frustrating. Any suggestions? Please?
> Lynne

Depends on the operating system.  If it's Win 9x/Me boot in Safe Mode (try
pressing F8 a couple of times as the machine starts, around the time you see
the "Staring Windows" text message).  If it's NT/2000/XP, then I think
there's a "Start VGA Mode" at boot time (I could check exactly what it says,
but then I'd have to reboot and I don't really feel like it right now  :)

Once booted up in VGA/Safe Mode you can reset things like the resolution,
refresh rate etc etc.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Education & Research Technology Services,     http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Information Technology Services Division,
  University of Saskatchewan