copyright laws

Arthur Christy arthur.christy at tamut.edu
Tue Jan 15 14:28:10 EST 2002

If you have computer software collections for patron use, such as
children's living books, learning games, etc, do you allow patrons to check
them out to be used at home?  If so, how do you distinguish what can be
taken home and what can't so that you stay within copyright law?

Also we have hundreds of CD's that we have only one license of.  You have to
check the CD out from a librarian in order to use. Can we install each CD
onto several computers even though you have to check the CD out to run it.
In other words, it can only be used on one computer at a time although the
program is installed onto several.  Is this within copyright regulations?
The same computer maybe not always be available.  And we certainly do not
want to install and uninstall everytime.

Arthur Christy
Texas A&M University Texarkana
Library Datacenter
1024 Tucker Street