[WEB4LIB] Anonymous E-Mail for Patrons

Mike Novak prx000 at mail.connect.more.net
Thu Jan 3 14:45:19 EST 2002

> Do any other public libraries let patrons send anonymous e-mail? I am
> not talking about patrons setting up accounts on Hotmail or Yahoo -- I
> am referring to letting them use a group e-mail account on the library
> e-mail system which they can use to send, but not receive, e-mail.

Wow, this sounds like a really, really, BAD idea... particularly in light of
the USA Patriot Act (H.R.3162).  You have an obligation to practice "due
diligence" to prevent things like terrorism, threats, hacking, etc. from
occuring.  As many are interpreting the USA Patriot Act, a 3rd party (such
as a public library) can be held liable if they don't do enough to prevent
such things from happening.  Allowing free and open access to anonymous
electronic e-mail is just asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Mike Novak
Technology Coordinator & Reference Librarian
University City Public Library