[WEB4LIB] Re: How to buy a PC workshop for patrons

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Wed Feb 20 14:03:42 EST 2002

I guess I should add a mild demurrer on Andrew Mutch's message:

PC Values is a tracking mechanism, not specifically buying advice, and the
"one good system" configurations are powerful multimedia home/small office
systems, quite possibly overkill for public library use.

I started out to offer a possible configuration here, then realized that I
don't know library public-workstations anywhere near well enough to do
that.

I would note a couple of things given the current marketplace:
-Get 256MB RAM (or more); Windows XP (and Mac OS X) both work better with
lots of RAM, and it's currently dirt-cheap.

-Although you shouldn't need this much disk space on public machines, 40GB
drives are now so cheap that they're probably the sweet spot (Dell &
Gateway both show a $20 differential between medium-speed 20GB and
high-speed 40GB drives: a buck a gigabyte is ridiculously cheap).

-This may be the time for flat-panel displays, particularly where space,
heat, or power are issues. Dell and Gateway both charge $200 or less to
upgrade from the default CRT to a 15" LCD panel; that's a fairly good deal.
And, of course, the iMac now comes with a snazzy LCD screen.

If I don't mention CPU speed and graphics cards and sound cards, it's
because most libraries don't emphasize game playing, multimedia creation,
or high-end photo-editing or video editing as public-computer uses--and
unless you're doing those things, almost any of today's PCs have enough
power.

I'd expect to pay $1,100-$1,300 for a fully-equipped system, including
three-year on-site support...but I still believe $1,500 is a good budget
point overall.

Don't quote me on any of this!
-walt crawford, still using a 3-year-old 400MHz Celeron at home-

                    "Don Hamilton"
                    <dhamilto at wlu.ca>        To:     Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    web4lib at sunsite.be       Subject:     [WEB4LIB] Re: How to buy a PC workshop for patrons
                    rkeley.edu

                    02/20/2002 10:35
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    dhamilto

Hi all. I kind of like this page I came across the other day, via a
serendipitous google search...

http://www.reboot.bc.ca/homesys.htm.

don