more on FP and shared folders

Rachel Singer Gordon rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
Wed Feb 6 18:03:06 EST 2002

More on FrontPage and shared network folders -- the following came
through today's edition of the "Woody's Office Watch" e-mail
newsletter:

"4. FRONTPAGE 2002 AND IIS 5.0
WOWser AC writes: "I used to be able to edit my website
which is on a shared folder but as of last week I wasn't
able to after reloading Frontpage on a new machine. I got
errors of "server connection reset" and "The server could
not complete your request" etc. I changed permissions went
to officeupdates and loaded all the latest patches and
basically tore my hair out because nothing worked. I am
using Win98SE and Office 2000 SP2. The server is running
Windows 2000 Server SP2. I checked with
support.microsoft.com, searched with google.com etc but
still no luck.

"Finally I went to catchup.cnet.com which told me that
there were updates for the Frontpage extensions which were
not installed on my machine. After installing the new Front
page extensions on my machine (not the server) then I was
able to access the files OK. It appears as if server had a
later version of the server extensions and this would not
allow Frontpage to even access the folder on the server."

Juggling FrontPage extensions can be a real bear, because
even a minor change in the version number of a seemingly
unrelated component (like Internet Explorer) can throw
everything out of kilter.

I looked at the MS Knowledge Base and scanned for various
server error messages - and I found a BUNCH of
incompatibilities. If you're getting a FrontPage server
error, start with MSKB
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&
). Officeupdate.Microsoft.com may help, but it generally
won't find anything wrong with your server, much less any
cross-version problems between your machine and your
server. If neither of those work, the CNet Catchup program
certainly looks like it's worth a try. "

---
Rachel Singer Gordon / rsinger at linc.lib.il.us
http://www.franklinparklibrary.org
http://www.lisjobs.com