[WEB4LIB] OT: 02-02-02

P. Michael McCulley mcculley at best.com
Sun Feb 3 13:18:55 EST 2002

Slightly off-topic, but could be of interest to those maintaining Web computers, too. If Roy will permit a slight digression...

I wrote a chronologist in the UK I identified via the Web, and he responded that for "02-02-02"...

"The UK and ISO/Japanese versions of the date have the same property."

Also, we exchanged:
>Do you know if this phenomena (all 3 numbers in the dating scheme being
>identical) has any "name," is it called something in particular by
>chronologists?

"Not to my knowledge.  In the UK, 20/02/2002 will be numerically
palindromic, and will contain 20:02:20.02.  But 02/20/2002 8:02:20.02
p.m. will be of lesser interest."

Thus, it is palindromic but seems to have no direct name.

>From a humor list, I found this item of related interest:

"It's also "All Even Day" - The first "All Even Day" in over 1,000 years
occurred on February 2, 2000 (where all the digits are even numbers). The
last All Even day was on August 28, 888."
"Those of us who know military time are especially looking forward to
tonight, Feb 2, 2002 at 8:20PM ... when it will be: 020220022020"

Best regards,
Michael McCulley
mcculley at best.com