Adobe mysteries

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Fri Feb 1 19:56:02 EST 2002

I am just starting to use Acrobat files and I have two questions:

1) Why do files created in Acrobat 4 and 5 look so crummy in the
Acrobat v.3 reader?  Is there any way to 'fix' this?  (I can't
control the version someone is using on their home computer, and
there are a lot of people who haven't upgraded from v.3).

2) When you choose "Export" and then request that the program delete
the pages, does it really save it in some history list?  I ask
because we had a weird experience today.  We decided to split a
pdf file into two sections because of file size concerns. Went
into Acrobat, exported (and chose 'delete' in the Export menu).
Saved the original file. Saved the Exported file.  The original
file, when viewed in Acrobat, looked fine and had the right
number of pages - but the file size had not changed at all.

When we went in and instead chose to export the full document to
a new file, the file size was correct.  My best guess was that
Acrobat saved the deleted pages in a section of the file that
contains revision history so you can 'undelete' it.  But I have
no evidence of that.  It's just a wild guess.

Anyone know what caused that?

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist