OPAC Security Revisited

Laurie Schladweiler lschlad at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:54:58 EST 2002

We have about 60 new computers coming in. Library is separate from and near
large academic computing center so we want tight security in order to limit
use to internet, Library catalog and online database searching. (Everything
else is available in computing center). We have Compaq D300's
(minitowers)with TFT (flat screen) monitors and our technician is working
with TWEAKUI(sp?) and policy editor (server level), Win2000Pro. He is stuck
on a few last items:

1) In the past we could hide "My Computer" from Desktop on WinNT and Win98
but cannot find a way on Win2000Pro.
2) Library staff would prefer not to use any screensavers. Do we still have
to in order to prevent screen damage even with the new models?
3) We'd prefer to use auto logon but he doesn't know how, with the above
tools, to "get in" for admin access with auto logon. We use Pharos
Pay-for-Print and if a student shuts down and logs in incorrectly the next
person can't print. (Password is blank on logon screen, but they have to
click O.K. instead of cancel). Do we have to write a special script or could
we use these tools?
4)Also, curiosity, we have an assitive tech station with software for
hearing and vision impared students, etc. Wondering, do those of you who do
lock down leave "Accessibility" options open and if so, do you have many
patrons who use or even know to look for them?

Thank you in advance-- to the list or me personally would be fine if you can
spare a minute and have an idea for us.

Laurie Schladweiler
West Campus Library
Pima Community College