[WEB4LIB] Re: another tangent to Re: Inline forms in CSS

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:25:57 EST 2002

> > If you were running a search engine on your own server that looked at the
> > source HTML files rather than getting them through your server, you could
> > use server-side includes for the navigation bars.  Then they wouldn't even
>
> > be in the files that get indexed.
>
>So, in light of this, do you have any suggestions for search engines that
>are either cheap or free?  I think Atomz results are pretty accurate, but I
>don't want to "invalidate" my pages just to have the search engine work.
>You brought up some great points in regards to that.  Any ideas would be
>great!

We use SWISH-E: <http://www.swish-e.org/>.  (Aside to Roy: finally threw
those rascals off of sunsite, eh?).  I found it very easy to set up and run
an index.  I wrote a short CGI shell for searching, but it may come with
its own CGI interface by now (we're a release behind).  Aside from indexing
our site, I use it to index Libweb, and it handles an index of 6300 pages
quite easily.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu