[WEB4LIB] capturing form data

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 12 09:47:50 EST 2002

No, standard server logs don't capture this kind of information.

You need click-through tracking which you can do in PHP.  The basic
procedure is to set up a database table that can hold all the raw data
from a form submission and every time someone submits form data you insert
that data along with a timestamp and some CGI environment information (the
user's ip, refering page, etc) and cookie data if you're maintaining
session information.

You might want to have a look at Philip Greenspun's chapter on
User-Tracking at: http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/user-tracking

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo