[WEB4LIB] Re: resticting users to one website

stephanie spearman razl00 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 13:13:18 EST 2002

On our OPACs I create a persistent connection to the
catalog with the DOS 'route' command on top or I guess
you could say *behind* everything else. But I also
pile on the reghacks & browser proxy restrictions and
kiosk so they cannot type in a web address (IE5.5 &
NT). A page with good DOS explanation is
'computerhope' (isn't that a pleasant name?):
http://www.computerhope.com/routehlp.htm

Stephanie Spearman
Electronic Services Librarian
Northwest Ga Regional Library System
Dalton, GA

--- Robert Sullivan <scp_sulli at sals.edu> wrote:
> >I cannot change the search page or
> >can I? I would like to create my own page that
> would explain that this pc
> >may only be used to access the library catalogue.
> This page would reside on
> >the hard disk and would open whenever any website
> other than the library
> >catalogue is requested.
>
> The location of the search page in NT and Internet
> Explorer is in this
> Registry key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Search
>
> I set the "CustomizeSearch" value to nothing and the
> "SearchAssistant" value to
> our chosen search page.
>
> Bob Sullivan
> scp_sulli at sals.edu
> Schenectady County Public Library (NY)
> http://www.scpl.org

=====
Sometimes the only solution is to find a new problem...