PDF displaying blank page in browser

Vicki Falkland library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 18:08:04 EST 2002

Hi folks,

We have a downloadable (by authentication only) pdf file on our site
(intranet).

Some users cannot see the file when it has apparantly downloaded, all they
see is a totally blank browser. This seems to be not dependent upon browser
type or version (IE and/or Netscape), or version of Acrobat Reader. It is
totally inconsistant - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. They
have been able to download other pdf files from other sites on other
occasions. They have even been able to download THIS file on other
occasions. For some, one day it works, the next day it doesn't.

Which leads me to wonder: is there something I'm doing wrong when
converting the file? Its a Word document (rtf) which another staff member
here created from an Access database (its simply a list of passwords for
access to e-journals, hence the authentication process) .... she passes it
to me, I convert it to pdf and push it up to the server.

Our users are calling our I.T. department when this happens, and they tell
the user to ring us because its "a library problem".

Has anyone experienced this? Am I totally ignorant and/or missing the
bleedin' obvious somewhere along the way??

tia,
Vicki