tangent to Re: Inline forms in CSS problem

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:08:57 EST 2002

At 12:34 PM 2/26/2002, Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:
> > [First things first: "font-size: 10px;" is bad.  You don't know how small
> > 10px is on the user's monitor.  Stick with relative sizes.]
>
>Are px's really so bad in CSS?

Yes.
>It seems that if the user has their pixels
>set really high, they expect teeny tiny fonts.

No.  They expect really *clear* fonts, made up of many more pixels per
character than lower-resolution users get.  They *may* choose to trade off
some of that clarity to use slightly smaller onscreen fonts (in point
size), but not necessarily.

Fixed font sizing, whatever the unit of measurement, is also grossly unfair
to users with vision problems.  Sure, the author's sizing can be
overridden, but why force that drastic action if it isn't otherwise necessary?

>The relative sizes seem
>almost arbitrary across different platforms.

Regardless of platform, text that is accurately rendered at, say, 90% of
the user's comfortable font size is still legible for short, de-emphasized
text.  Text rendered at  x number of pixels has no known relationship to a
user's comfortable font size.

Perhaps you're referring to a bugs in a browser whose error-riddled CSS
support is now over five years old, and whose own developers declared it
defunct more than three years ago.  The pages I write are usable in such a
dilapidated browser, but I no longer go far out my way to fine tune its
display.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu