[WEB4LIB] RE: icons/images for email reference service

Sarah Graham Sarah_Graham at emerson.edu
Sun Feb 24 13:52:15 EST 2002

Ever heard the cliche "a picture is worth a thousand words"? Marketers and
computer interface designers have known for a long time that icons perform
important functions in our world. For example, think about how many complex
commands and functions are represented on your MS Word toolbar. Then imagine
how awful that toolbar would be if it was all words and not images. We are
all familiar with the printer icon meaning, "send document to the printer" -
it works well because it represents a simple action.

Icons don't work well when they involve tricky metaphors... because you're
defeating the role of an icon as a visual representation of an activity,
function, or in the case of computers, command. Icons also work best when
you use images that are familiar to people. If I saw a book in front of a
computer I wouldn't know what the heck it meant (and would probably guess
"ebooks") - and confusion often means you frustrate and lose the attention
of your user.

I would suggest that if you want to represent your ask a librarian service
with an icon, you may want a picture of a librarian. Or better yet, perhaps
a question mark--the universal symbol for help. But remember that it is
rarely helpful to create your own new iconographic system, icons work best
when they work with the users familiarity.

Edward Tufte has written a lot about theories of presenting information. I
recommend, _Envisioning Information_ (Graphics Press, 1990) and _Visual
explanations: images and quantities, evidence and narrative_ (Graphics
Press, 1997).

Sarah Graham
Coordinator of Web Development/Reference Librarian
Emerson College Library
Boston, MA 02116