How are people using your "Site Search"?

Jeff.Kuntzman at UCHSC.edu Jeff.Kuntzman at UCHSC.edu
Tue Feb 19 13:13:21 EST 2002

We used to have a site search form right on the home page, and yes, over
half of the searches were probably trying to search for things better
found in either the OPAC or a database.

We changed the search form into an OPAC word search form instead. Then
changed our site search to a link on the page, in a different position.
This has helped to an extent although it's hard to tell, the search
logs have just gotten a lot shorter than they used to be.

If I get the time I want to try to change the OPAC search form into a drop
down with choice for journal title, author, and keyword choices -
anyone else out there with an Innovative catalog that has tried this
successfully?

BTW, using FreeFind for site search, and pretty happy with the reports
it generates.

Jeff Kuntzman
Denison Memorial Library
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center