[WEB4LIB] How are people using your "Site Search"?

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Mon Feb 18 15:43:14 EST 2002

At 11:52 AM 2/18/2002 -0800, Blake Carver wrote:
>Is anyone else is keeping a log of what search terms people are entering in
>your "Site Search". I recall a "how to" thread a few weeks back, but I

Been using the free search from http://search.atomz.com for couple of years
now, been rather satisfied with it. It's free for sites under a certain
number of documents, I forget how much, just that our main Library site is
below the cut-off. Couldn't set up another account to use it to search the
Unix help pages being mirrored, as that section was too large, but that's
fine with me. Anway, it gives weekly email reports of what keywords are
being used by our patrons. The email report lists the top 5 searches for
that week, with a link to get all the words used for searching for that
week, plus daily, weekly, and monthly stats.

>I've been keeping track here at OSU for a few months now, and there is no
>doubt in my mind people are NOT differentiating between a site search and a
>search of our OPAC, or a database search.

Same here. Was especially bad at the beginning.

>I changed our search screen to state explicitly that our site search is not
>looking for books, etc... about a month ago, and it doesn't seem to have
>helped.

I did the same, and my first attempt at putting up a disclaimer helped
some, just a little, not much. I then moved to having the text in
<BIG><BIG> and <B>. Even have stooped to using a DHTML script (which
browser snifs) to alternate the color of the disclaimer text as well to
help get more attention. It's set off in a table with a thick colored
border and white background to have it show up even better. I got some
improvement in the search logs. Now in the top 5 searches, the last couple
or three keyword(s) used would actually be related to the library web site:
someone looking for Infotrac for instance, or library hours. I don't think
any web site related search terms ever made the top two, but at least the
third most used or fourth and fifth most used terms are library site
related. Much improvement. I'll live with it. It ain't pretty, but it
works: http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/search.htm

TTFN,
David

Head, Systems Dept, Louisiana Tech University
merchant at latech.edu
JavaScript List Administrator (www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/)
Webmaster, HTML Encyclopedia (www.mountaindragon.com/html/)
Webmaster, Memorial Day Page: (www.usmemorialday.org/)