SMIL E-Journal Examples

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Mon Feb 18 13:59:18 EST 2002

                              _SMIL E-Journal Examples_

        I am greatly interested in learning of Any and All e-journals that utilize
SMIL(tm) for markup and access of audio, video, animation, and other multimedia components.

As many are aware, SMIL(tm) [pronounced 'smile' :-)] is the

               Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language

that "enables simple authoring of interactive audiovisual presentations. SMIL(tm) is typically used for 'rich media'/multimedia presentations which integrate streaming audio and video with images, text or any other media type"
[ http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/ ].

SMIL 2.0 is a World Wide Web Consortium Recommendation  (August 2001)

"Based on XML, [SMIL(tm)] ... allows developers to mix many types of media, text, video, graphics, audio and vector based animation together and to synchronize them to a timeline"
[  http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/SMIL/Intro/index.html ]

   I am aware of select multimedia e-journals and have listed most in M-Bed(sm), my registry devoted to "Embedded Multimedia Electronic Journals"
at   [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm ]
[I do not believe that any of these utilize SMIL(tm) but will investigate]

  As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, critiques, Speed Skating Upsets, Cosmic Insights, Etc. Etc. Etc. are Most Welcome!

/Gerry McKiernan
SMILing Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011