[WEB4LIB] XML for E-Journals Examples

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Sun Feb 17 23:22:20 EST 2002

Gerry,

I'm happy to report that use of XML is widespread in e-journal
production processes, but is mostly used in the back end, where it is
not exposed to the user. This is because xml handling in user agents,
such as web browsers, is not yet up to the task of dealing with the
complex markup often found in scientific and scholarly manuscripts.
Even when xml is transformed to html via XSLT, it is more reliable to
do that server-side rather than client side.

One company that has advertised its use of xml in producing
e-journals is Catchword. Last I looked they were hosting more than a
thousand e-journals. Their use of xml is probably not hugely
different from our use of eFirst xml, and is probably not very
different from what you'll see at other technologically advanced
publishers.

Publishers were using SGML in production even before the web. There
are public SGML DTD's such as "docbook" and "iso 12083" which were
developed with print journals in mind, and they have XML descendents
and can be used to generate electronic presentations.

I think eFirst xml was one of the first xml dtd's developed
specifically for e-journals on the Web.
Another publicly available xml dtd for e-journals is from ICAAP.
http://www.icaap.org

Use of XML for data interchange is also very widespread. When
aggregators such as Ovid, ingenta, proquest etc get full text from
publishers, it often is delivered as xml or in xml wrappers.

So xml is well on its way to being a *current* generation framework
for electronic journal publication, at least on the back end.

Eric

--
Eric Hellman

Openly Informatics, Inc.