[WEB4LIB] RE: TEXTAREA rendering

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Feb 15 12:26:10 EST 2002

At 12:00 PM 2/15/2002, VanderHart, Robert wrote:
>Michael,
>
>I thought the WRAP attribute was no longer in the latest HTML spec, even
>though it does seem to work within the TEXTAREA.  But WRAP still doesn't
>address my question of getting the CR/LF to be rendered once the Submit
>button is clicked.
>
>I will be looking further into Alfred's suggestion of the ColdFusion
>ParagraphFormat function.
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>
>Robert

The wrap attribute has never been part of a formal HTML spec.  While it is
widely supported, it only addresses which line breaks in the textarea get
sent to the server as carriage returns/line feeds and which get sent as
spaces.  But spaces and CRLFs are both just white space to HTML, so if your
script simply turns the content around and spits it out in an HTML page,
the results will look the same regardless of the wrap attribute.  Whatever
the server-side technology, you need it to look for blank lines and
substitute the appropriate markup.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu