non-SGML characters

Robert Sullivan scp_sulli at sals.edu
Fri Feb 1 00:38:51 EST 2002

>I've been using the • character to separate our address information
>at the bottom of our pages. But now, as I'm moving to XHTML 1.0, I'm
>finding that when I validate these characters are returned with the error
>"reference to non-SGML character".

I use the previously-mentioned iso-8859-1 rather than Windows-1252, and I
include the optional (but required by the XHTML validators)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

as the first line.  I use names (e.g. &eacute;) rather than the numbers for
characters and I have no validation problems, although my Windows version of
Lynx 2.8 won't display them properly using its default character set of 8859-1.
The Lynx (2.7) on our consortium's Alpha does fine using Latin-1.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org