one last v-ref note

Debra Shapiro dshapiro at slis.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 9 17:38:24 EST 2002

A few weeks before the Charleston Observer article on virtual
reference, and Steve Coffman's AL article on virtual reference, Joe
Janes had a piece in Library Journal that was pretty much a Whoa!, or
cautionary, article regarding virtual reference, but rather than
Steve Coffman's slam of the collaborative service model (begging the
question, "What do we do instead, Steve?), or the Observer's article
fear-mongering that online will replace in-person, badly, Joe's
article instead points out what so many people on Web4Lib (& Digiref)
have been saying -- virtual reference is not our only tool, and is
not always the right tool. It can be very very good in some
situations, and not the right thing in others. That's the Whoa!
caveat.

Joe also describes the real or imagined librarian
jump-on-the-virtual-ref-band-wagon phenomenon very well as "we're
finally cool!"

debra

LJ 10/15/2002
http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA251681