[WEB4LIB] spam on staff computer

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Dec 23 13:58:43 EST 2002

At 01:45 PM 12/23/2002, Phalbe Henriksen wrote:
>... I sure would like some software that would
>filter out spam, but keep the good stuff from being blocked.
>
>Has anyone designed this software yet? Is it foolproof *and* idiotproof? If
>so, what is it?

I'm no expert and don't have an exhaustive list, but I did just read about
the spam blocking routines that are being built into Mozilla 1.3.  They
have an interesting approach: you give the filter mechanism a bunch of
messages you've already identified as spam, and a bunch you've identified
as ok, and it learns the difference itself.  See
<http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam.html> and
<http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html>.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu