[WEB4LIB] RE: "Piracy is Progressive Taxation"

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Fri Dec 20 11:32:13 EST 2002

"I think Baen's doing the right thing in every way, and has the numbers to
prove it, but let's remember that one of their motives is profit." -JM (see
original message below for context)

Someone please remind me again, why is profit bad?

Profit (personal, corporate, other) is one of the driving forces of content
dispersion.  True, we don't want people to unduly profit from ourselves, we
don't want to be cheated, but a reasonable passing on of the costs of the
risks of doing business shuold be expected and acceptable.

-Aaron
:-)'

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the
Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous
phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and
there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."
--Small Gods, Terry Pratchett