[WEB4LIB] RE: "Piracy is Progressive Taxation"

L. E. Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Thu Dec 19 19:54:58 EST 2002

Commercial publishers are not all one flavor either: Baen has its free
library available to anyone who cares to take a look, with an
explanation by author Eric Flint on why he thinks the free library is a
good thing.
See http://www.baen.com/library/
Also note that Baen's backlist sales have INCREASED since the free
library went up.
Lynne

Edward Wigg wrote:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 06:15 PM, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
> >
> > I read his article and grasped what he meant--all too well. I was not
> > merely reacting to your post.
>
> I'm happy to accept that you did read it but you did include the
> statement "Please, spare me from 'information wants to be free, as long
> as it's yours,'" which was emphatically _not_ his point. As a publisher
> he's _far_ more likely to be hurt by large scale unrestricted copying
> than you are.
>
> It should be noted that he is mostly talking about the general
> publishing/music/movie industries, the source of the vast bulk of the
> collection in a public library, which is why we should care, rather than
> the journal articles most of of are likely to write, so his points are
> likely to be expressed accordingly. He obviously thinks that creators of
[snip]

--
L. E. Puckett
Reference & Electronic Systems Librarian