[WEB4LIB] Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Jodi Thomson jodi at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Dec 4 22:34:54 EST 2002

Our Library uses a method by which a report is run on our catalogue
(we're currently using DRA classic) extracting the journal holdings into
plain text delimited format. The output of this report is then run
through a perl script which converts it to HTML. We also have lists
created of CD holdings, video holdings, serials holdings, etc. These run
on a reqular basis by batch job.

Currently I am in the process of rescripting so that the plain text is
read by a php script thus dynamically producing the webpages on the fly
allowing the ability to sort alphabetically or otherwise.

Dependant upon how large your journal collection is is how you'll want
to store them. If Access is currently housing the collection adequetely
then leave it status quo. Then automate the production of the weblists
by extracting a delimited report containing the fields you wish to
display, then parse it through a perl or php script.
Moving to an SQL server would have its advantages in a larger
collection. But the old adage holds. If it aint broke don't mess with
it. Do you really wish to migrate the data?

Regards
Jodi

Jodi W. Anderson, Mr (A+, MCP) - Computer Systems Consultant
Waikato University Library - Computing Operations Group
Ph: +64 7 838 4323
email: jodi at waikato.ac.nz

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
forgotten this before."