[WEB4LIB] Re: Web page color & accessibility

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Dec 4 14:31:11 EST 2002

JC> This isn't trying to be "artsyfartsy" or fancy or any other ridiculous
JC> angle you're trying to hang on me as a developer for an academic library
JC> (you must really crack yourself up) ...  it's part of our upcoming
JC> implementation of the myLibrary at NCSU software here in my library.

Whoa there, John.... I'm not trying to hang anything on anybody. I'm
referring to almost every light on dark webpage I've ever seen.  Light
on dark, for whatever reason used, is a real problem for many people
to read.  I think that by now others have provided adequate
information on that.

JC> I'm trying to figure out the myLibrary software and what portions of it I
JC> have control over versus what the user will be able to customize. I'm
JC> somewhat color-challenged, I have people in my organization who want this
JC> color scheme or that, and I just want to get it done by Winter Quarter.

JC> This is for the initial page they will get before they perhaps choose to
JC> customize their personal pages.

That's all the more reason for it to be in a simple, easy to read by
all, style.  If people wish to personalize the colors on the
"MyLibrary", that's fine.  I have some colleagues who have color
schemes on their monitors and applications that I couldn't use. One
has chartreuse on purple on her telnet client. Her problem, not mine.

JC> Each section has a header above it that
JC> defines content within that section...I should have said that in my
JC> original post.  This isn't for the entire page.

A little reverse coloring can be OK to set off a heading.  By not many
want to read a block of text that way.

JC> I resent your implications on what I'm trying to do--i.e. your cutsey lil
JC> note on being polite rather than telling me what you think, along with
JC> four bits, gets you coffee in my town.

John, I really didn't, and don't, think I was implying anything about
you and what you were doing. I'm sorry that you made such an
inference, as that wasn't my intent.  My apologies for any offense
that you perceived.  The "cutsey lil note" was intended to be an
indication that I HAD just told you exactly what I thought.  Guess it
missed the mark as well.  From a couple of private responses I know
that at least a couple others got it.  So it goes.

I'll have to stop and get coffee next time going through Ellensburg,
as there isn't any in Boise for under a buck that I know of, except
for a "senior coffee" at MickeyD's that some of us qualify for.

cheers, and peace,

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA