[WEB4LIB] "Piracy is Progressive Taxation"

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Dec 12 20:52:27 EST 2002

I'll add my concern about copyright as an author.
While I do want to get paid for my work, past a
certain point I'm more interested in getting my
ideas out there and discussed.  Once I've submitted
my contribution to a publisher and gotten paid for
the work I've done, I'm not terrible concerned that
individuals copy and share my work with friends
and colleagues.  I'm not dependent on writing for
my livelihood (don't quit your day job) so my
perspective here may be substantially different
than those who do.  However, I do take exception
when someone else takes possession of my work and
essentially chooses to republish it, without my
permission or attempting to compensate me for any
benefit they gain from that use.  As far as I know,
I haven't had anyone resell my work, but I'm still
concerned when I lose control of something I've
done, where I'm unable to reclaim it or remove it
as I see fit.  I know of several instances where
one of my ongoing projects has been "mirrored" by
other sites, without permission, effectively pre-
venting me from being able to control which version
of the work is available to the public.  Though I
don't receive any compensation for this project,
and the pirates aren't charging for access either,
I still feel that they are taking advantage of
me to my detriment by this practice.

-- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz