What's wrong with virtual reference?

Robert Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Fri Dec 6 14:09:54 EST 2002

re: http://www.charlestonco.com/features.cfm?id=112&type=ed

Concerning the article's mention of hype stemming primarily from "the
profession’s longstanding infatuation with technology -- a fascination
with gadgetry" and the following sentence, "Librarianship has yet to
meet a technology it doesn’t like":

While some call it "gadgetry," those who actually see and implement the
benefits of such services recognize them to be Tools. That "librarians
like technologies" is a actually good thing: whenever those of us in the
field can use technology to offer better services to patrons, yes,
that's a good thing.

Digital reference is not an all-or-nothing proposition: it's just
another tool, another form of communication, another option to give
patrons who may or may not be able to come to libraries for face-to-face
transactions. Let's not forget the disabled users out there and senior
population, for example.

Like any tool, digital reference has its valid uses and its limitations:
it cannot fix everything, but because screwdrivers can't do what hammers
can doesn't mean stop using screwdrivers. We need all the tools to
effectively and comprehensively do our jobs and consistently provide the
best possible service. Yes, it can be constructive to debate tools and
techniques, even to put some of either aside, if only temporarily, as we
explore new and better ways to do things.

Yes, "let's be frank," but let's also use common sense about these
"disembodied online interactions": are the "moral and emotional
elements" truly unattainable? Necessary? Emoticons and commonplace
ethics notwithstanding, what about these so-called "emotional" and
"moral" elements? Considering typical digital reference is based on
human language, are we saying we are no longer capable of communicating
"morals" and "emotions" through words? I hope not.

Perhaps some people feel they cannot effectively provide information
until they actually see a person and predetermine, based on that
person's appearance, what resource(s) would be most suitable. If it was
merely an age based issue, this could easily be solved by having
children, young adults, and adults clicking on different options for
age-appropriate responses, but perhaps there's more to the phenomenon of
seeing a patron that people are willing to admit. Why else lament
"disembodied online interactions"?

Let's get one thing straight: librarianship is neither enslaved by nor
"infatuated" with technology, as neo-Luddites in our profession would
have everyone believe. Dismissive talk of "gadgetry" at this point, when
many libraries are successfully redefining themselves and expanding
their services in light of the not-so-recent digital information
revolution, can be counterproductive and may serve to give false
credence to library critics who suggest the profession is out of step
with the times or, worse, destined to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Digital reference isn't news -- it has been around for a while now, and
many libraries have adopted it to some degree. Not all libraries use
chat interfaces or custom live reference clients. Some use e-mail, and
that hardly involves "a plethora of new challenges: additional software
to master, new procedures to adopt, extra protocols to establish,
significant new costs to explain...."

E-mail reference can be quiet efficient and better than in-person
transactions because it gives both the patron and the librarian time to
formulate questions and answers, which you don't necessarily get
face-to-face. It often also provides opportunities for the query to be
handled by the most appropriate person on staff (e.g. government related
question handled by the Government Information librarian), versus a
random librarian at the desk (who may, in fact be able to handle
question perfectly). So the seemingly damnable lack of immediacy in
e-mail reference is actually one of its strong points, as I see it.

Results will be different in different settings. Overgeneralites might
look good in print, and people can collectively moan over "habits of
information trolling and gathering," "decontextualizing,"
"dehumanizing," and "disembodying," but whining gets you nowhere unless
it is followed by serious suggestions, solutions, or, at the very least,
conclusive demonstrations why we should completely abandon one tool.
Don't merely argue both sides, saying on one hand it's "neither
effective nor helpful" yet paragraphs later "the service has its value."

If the article's purpose was to persuade us into seeing how "embodied"
reference is superior to "disembodied" reference, then I have to wonder
if such vacillations help to establish that. That the authors were
indecisive in their own analysis and concede "we certainly need to be
open to change" is good -- for them; at least they appear to want to be
balanced and open-minded -- as for the purpose of the article, the
conflicting statements undercut it and render the entire affair a waste
of our time, because in the end all we have been told is it's good/it's
bad: this we knew already.

So it's my own "final analysis" that simply talking about virtual
reference "is only minimally effective" -- hey, try it. You might like
it! Even if you don't, that doesn't mean patrons can't benefit from it.
Set personal persuasions aside. Patrons shouldn't be deprived of choices
and possibly better ways (for them) to get information. Let their needs
be our guides to better service. Librarianship, at its heart, isn't
about librarians: it's about the people we serve.

Maybe the article should have been "Virtual Reference: Overreacting,
Inflated Rhetoric, and Not Even Really All that Bad After All!"

Robert