[WEB4LIB] RE: What's wrong with virtual reference?

Hugh Jarvis hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Fri Dec 6 12:02:36 EST 2002

dl> I don't know of any libraries that are trying to discourage the users
dl> from virtual reference.  I think most users would prefer personal
dl> contact, in fact.

Thanks, Dan.  I haven't had a great deal of ref desk experience, but I do
recall some wisdom that many patrons are afraid of face to face interaction,
(perhaps similar to their fear of dentists, doctors, and plumbers), and thus
may well prefer being slightly removed through virtual reference services.
Virtual reference also provides a channel what patrons may perceive as
insignificant questions for which they don't wish to bother a busy librarian
on a public desk.

Sure, interactions will vary depending on the clientele and circumstances,
but it is certainly possible that unlike other recent innovations, the Web
may actually provide some unique new opportunities.  Of course only time
will tell...

Thanks,

	Hugh

 Hugh Jarvis  (PhD, MLS)
 Cybrarian/Web Information Coordinator
 Creative Services - University at Buffalo
 330 Crofts Hall, Buffalo, NY USA 14260-7015
 Tel: 716 645-5000 x1428
 Fax: 716 646-3765
 Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)