[WEB4LIB] RE: What's wrong with virtual reference?

Oberg, Steve STOBERG at TAYLORU.EDU
Fri Dec 6 10:36:41 EST 2002

Hmmmm....Strong reactions, true.  I guess I wasn't as bothered about the authors' viewpoint and didn't really think carefully enough about their central argument (as I suggested in an off-list response to Thomas Dowling).  I still believe, though, that there is truth in the article regarding our sometime slavish, jump-on-the-bandwagon approach to new stuff, and about the high value of in-person reference.  As has been pointed out, virtual reference won't replace in-person reference; instead it gives us a tool to reach online users.

By the way, virtual reference here has meant a 20% increase in overall reference hours and no reduction at all in in-person reference.

Steve

Steve Oberg -- Electronic Resources Librarian
Taylor University -- Zondervan Library
http://www.tayloru.edu/library/