[WEB4LIB] RE: What's wrong with virtual reference?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Dec 6 09:59:24 EST 2002

At 09:41 AM 12/6/2002, Oberg, Steve wrote:
>... it was clear that the authors were not arguing against virtual
>reference as a whole but rather against the idea that virtual reference
>can/should replace traditional in-person reference interaction....

That's a straw man argument.  I may be a little sheltered here, but I've
never heard any responsible suggestion that virtual reference be considered
as a relplacement for in-library, in-person, I'm-a-human-you're-a-human
reference.  It replaces the interaction that has predominated online, which
was typically no interaction at all (or askjeeves.com, et al.).  By that
yardstick, it measures up pretty well.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu