[WEB4LIB] Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Pinkham, Lida LPinkham at plcmc.org
Thu Dec 5 16:02:13 EST 2002

Here at PLCMC we use MS Access for all of our web databases. As a matter of
fact much of the content we deliver on the web is in a database. We have not
had any problems and some of these sites get very high useage.

We have been thinking for some time about moving the data to SQL server not
for performance reasons, but for security. For security purposed, I think
right now that all of our Access databases are kept on a seperate server
from our web server and then replicated to the web server. I don't really
know the details of this, but if anyone needed to know, I could find out.

Vicki you mentioned that ASP is not available to you. I think that may be a
misunderstanding on your part. If your webmaster is suggesting Access or SQL
Server then most likely you would use ASP to develop the pages. ASP is a
programming language used to create web pages that access data from a
database. If you are a Microsoft shop then you have the ability to use ASP
already.

Our webmaster taught himself ASP using the "Dummies" book. Of course, he
branched off from there with more technical books and has gotten quite good
at programming ASP pages. Most of our sites are maintained through web based
forms that display and update data in the Access databases.

Lida Pinkham
Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County
Library Resource Trainer
704-353-0631 (phone)
704-336-2677 (fax)

Check out the PLCMC family of websites:
http://www.plcmc.org/sharedPages/PLCMCwebSites.htm

"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at
all."
~Henry David Thoreau

/ ) __ ~
   / |  )\