[WEB4LIB] Anyone using SSL on an OPAC?

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Dec 5 13:44:06 EST 2002

I'd be interested in hearing from others about
this as well.  There has been a lot more attention
focussed on privacy lately and one of the tentative
issues raised by our library's administrative group
is enabling SSL with our online catalog.  We're
an III library and my department just inherited
responsibility for the care and feeding of our
OPAC server, so I'm not up to speed on what
would be involved here yet.  There isn't a lot
of privileged information or personal activity
transmitted through our OPAC, but I'd like to
know more about the pros and cons, as well as
the nuts and bolts of this issue.

-- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz