[WEB4LIB] Re: Web page color & accessibility

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Thu Dec 5 10:43:43 EST 2002

John Creech wrote:
> ...  The consensus here
> seems to be that yes, dark backgrounds w/ light text create unnecessary
> problems for visually impaired users.

 From what I have been told, people with macular degeneration often have
an easier time reading white text on a black background.

We made sure to include this option on the video magnifier which is part
of our Assistive Technology Workstation (as evidenced in photo at
http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org/reference/atw.html).

Perhaps this is even more reason to adhere to accessibility guidelines
and use CSS, as users could override the author's style with their own
if they needed to.

This topic may have been discussed on the WebAIM mailing list or web
site (http://www.webaim.org), but I stopped following the list due to
the high traffic and the reduced emphasis on web development in my own job.

Best regards,

Chris Murphy

--
Christopher Murphy