[WEB4LIB] Access2002 vs. SQL .. which way do we go?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Thu Dec 5 09:50:51 EST 2002

VF> CURRENTLY: our journal titles are all contained in an Access(2000) database
VF> (by a colleague), which we use to print hard copy lists and reports, but
VF> the web version is hand-coded (by me). therefore, we are maintaining two
VF> lists.

VF> THE ORIGINAL PLAN: with help from our organisation's webmaster (for a fee;
VF> our webmaster charges for his time and expertise), we would move the info
VF> from the Access database into SQL, which i presume would mean we'd have to
VF> learn SQL to maintain it. we would also have a web-based admin page set up
VF> so that either of us could edit the (single) list as necessary.

Having read a half dozen replies already, and having some experience
in these areas, it seems to me that the webmaster is looking for some
additional income.  Access 2000 or Access 2002 will do just fine.

VF> THE PROPOSED NEW PLAN: my colleague has now suggested that Access2002 is
VF> miraculous and will do everything we want without having to bother with
VF> SQL, or the webmaster, or the webmaster's fee (although of course there
VF> would be the cost of upgrading Access).

I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading Access, since I've not noticed these
miraculous improvements or changes, but maybe I've not been looking.

VF> the claim is that Access2002 is
VF> more "flexible" than SQL, and that it will be easier for us to maintain.

Assuming this colleague or you already have some Access experience,
you can certainly do it yourself.  We have a couple of intranet
databases in our tech services that are in the 15,000 record category
and they run fine with web access on fairly minimal machines with
Windows2000Pro and Access2000.  They don't get more than a few hits a
minute most of the time, but I doubt that yours would either, unless
your user population is much larger than it seems it would be.

VF> i'm nervous .... and not convinced that Access2002 is the answer.
VF> can anyone give me reasons (in simple terms please!) why i'm wrong to think
VF> this proposed new plan is a Bad Idea ?

As far as it being a "blinkered Microsoft only" approach, I'd judge
that to be irrelevant.  You have adequate tools available, and
apparently someone with enough skill, or who can get it quickly. If
you happen to already use FrontPage2002 (or even 2000), it has a
number of tools already available to facilitate what you want to do.
No, I'd not buy FP just for that purpose, though.

The webmaster is promoting something that is overkill. You don't need a
professional exterminator to kill one fly buzzing about your kitchen.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA