[WEB4LIB] Re: Web page color & accessibility

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Tue Dec 3 18:31:09 EST 2002

Yes, this is what I do for myself, but as Ann points out, it does not
always work, and does not work with graphics. I also find that not all of
our students can cope with the intricacies this implies. Or more likely,
the students will be fine, but the faculty and alumni (and potential
donors) struggle. I have had it emphasized to me that potential donors are
often attracted by the free resources we emphasize. Creating barriers can
potentially reduce the number of donors attracted. Perhaps a mercenary
take, but one which has big implications for the administration who
reviews the choices we make in our web sites. I find in trying to sell
usability for ADA issues, that bringing up the issues of the elderly donor
whose hands tremble and who wears bifocals is sometimes a more powerful
persuasion than 'because it is the right thing to do.'

Patricia ANderson, pfa at umich.edu