[WEB4LIB] Re: Web page color & accessibility

Mike Madin madin at academicinfo.net
Tue Dec 3 15:28:08 EST 2002

Dan Wrote:
> I can only report personal experience and that of several other
> elderly colleagues who have vision problems.  Reading light on dark is
> a bad thing, making it very difficult to read. Our eyes are used to
> reading dark on light, so I can't imagine why anyone would use light
> on dark, except to be artsyfartsy on some webpage. I can assure you
> that any webpages that use light on dark or similar 'fancy stuff' get
> bypassed quickly by many of us.

The first design rule is - Remember your audience.  For most academic
libraries you should be designing your webpages for the 18-22 year old
crowd.  You are not designing for fellow librarians or "elderly colleagues"
who expect the old black-on-white standard.  The majority of your users are
comfortable with "fancy stuff" even if you [we] hate it.

That said...Academic Info keeps the "plain Jane" look [as one reviewer from
Forbes compained] simply to make my update job easier.

Regards,
Mike Madin
Academic Info - www.academicinfo.net