[WEB4LIB] Mozilla 1.1 released

Rich Kulawiec rsk at magpage.com
Wed Aug 28 17:39:30 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:44:18AM -0700, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> The mozilla.org folks have released Mozilla 1.1: details at
> <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/>.  It is a substantial improvement even
> over 1.0.  IMO all web developers should use this browser frequently [...]

A hearty second from me: Mozilla is amazingly fast under Solaris and
appropriately picky about markup.   And the ability to turn off
unrequested popups, disable resize, restrict cookies and modify,
etc., all help make browsing the web a much more pleasant experience.
And just as important: a more secure experience.

While you're downloading, visit here:

	http://www.openoffice.org/

They've also released a new version (1.0.1) of their complete office
suite.  You may find that you have no need to pay the increased Microsoft
license fees or to accede to their EULA.  (For an interesting read,
go to their site, follow the "News" link, then read the second entry
marked "Verizon switches programmers to Linux [and OpenOffice.org]".
Verizon estimates desktop costs went from $20K to $3K per developer.)

---Rsk