Mozilla 1.1 released

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 28 13:42:11 EDT 2002

The mozilla.org folks have released Mozilla 1.1: details at
<http://www.mozilla.org/releases/>.  It is a substantial improvement even
over 1.0.  IMO all web developers should use this browser frequently and I
can only hope that end-user browsers based on it, especially Netscape 7.x,
become available ASAP.

There are still no configurable toolbars, meaning in part no home button on
the nav bar (our own Andrew Mutch has done battle with an intransigent
Mozilla module owner over this, to no avail), but the site navigation bar
is back, and performance and stability are both up, compared to 1.0.

As an eye-opening coincidence, Ziff-Davis is today quoting a market survey
showing IE with 96% market penetration, including the statement, "Unless
AOL makes a move soon, Netscape may find itself battling Opera for the last
1 to 2 percent of the
market."  <http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-955718.html>  I take these market
surveys with several grains of salt, but wherever the actual numbers lie,
it's dark days for the idea of a heterogeneous browser population.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu