[WEB4LIB] How do you check links?

Avi Rappoport avi-list at searchtools.com
Wed Aug 28 12:33:57 EDT 2002

At 8:37 AM -0700 8/28/02, Mary P. (Mollie) Freier wrote:
>What other resources for external link-checking do you use and could
>recommend? We really need something that would run on a Mac (that's not
>really a choice at this point). I'd like to start with recommendations from
>this list before I start looking at other options.

Internal site links are easy if you're running DreamWeaver or GoLive.

The only ones I know that run on Mac OS 9 *and* check external links
are the elderly Big Brother shareware from François Pottier
<http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/bb.html.en> and VSE Link Checker
<http://vse-online.com/link-tester/index.html >.  They both work OK
with occasional crashes, I wasn't thrilled with either of them.

I heard that some of the Unix ones were working on Mac OS X but
haven't had time to follow up.  If you have a Perl scripter, that
might be a good solution too.

Best of luck,

Avi
--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>