Political Protests--Iowa State University--May 1970

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Aug 24 15:31:03 EDT 2002

             Political Protests--Iowa State University--May 1970

      I am pleased to announce the availability of a new Virtual
Exhibit from the Special Collections Department of Iowa State University
 entitled:

                       "...The Times They Are A-Changin'":
             Political Protests--Iowa State University--May 1970
                       A Photographic Essay and Oral History

PREFACE

"In early May 1970, thousands of Iowa State University students
gathered to protest the expanding war in Vietnam and Southeast Asia and
the killing of four unarmed students on the campus of Kent State
University. This photographic essay seeks to document significant events
of the first week in May 1970 on the ISU campus and in Ames, Iowa,
utilizing photographs selected from the archives of the Iowa State
University Library, Special Collections Department, excerpts of reports
from the university newspaper, the Iowa State Daily, and summaries from
a chronological account of these and other events presented in a masters
thesis that analyzed the newspaper and its portrayal of events during
the 'radical' decade, 1966-1975. In addition, selected quotes and
excerpts from the university yearbook, Bomb, for 1970, have been
incorporated.

These accounts are augmented by links to the full text of interview
transcripts of select key individuals who were directly  involved in the
events of May 1970."

                           "...The Times They Are A-Changin'":
             Political Protests--Iowa State University--May 1970
                       A Photographic Essay and Oral History

is available from:

                [  http://www.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/exhibits/online.html
]

   Of the many projects and presentations I have been fortunate to
prepare this year, this to me is the most meaningful.

   Please visit and "Inquire, Learn, and Reflect"

      [ http://www.library.kent.edu/speccoll/4may70/ ]

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Ames
Iowa
USA
The World

               "Let us not become the evil that we deplore."

--Barbara Lee,
                                           House of Representatives
9/14/01