[WEB4LIB] sharing favorites between users on Win2K boxes

Jeff Hiroshi Gima gima at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 24 01:45:33 EDT 2002

Tracey -
Since I work as a reference librarian in more than one library (and
often use several different computers within the same library), I've
found it useful to more or less abandon IE/Netscape bookmark files and
use a web-based bookmark management system like ikeepbookmarks.com .
Your bookmarks are stored on a web-server, so you can access them from
wherever, even from a public workstation to show something to a patron.
ikeepbookmarks is my current system of choice (it's simple and it lets
you easily put together a folder of links you can annotate and email to
a patron on the fly), but there are loads of other bookmark managers to
choose from--see the list, for example, at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/On_the_Web/Web_Applications/Bookmark_Managers/
I think that most of these systems allow you to download/upload your
bookmarks to/from a computer at any time, if you prefer using
IE/Netscape bookmarks instead of the client or web interface of the
bookmark manager.

I know that I'm talking about a slightly different problem from yours
(single-user/multiple-locations as opposed to your
single-location/multiple-users), but I think that web-based bookmark
managers solve both those problems nicely, without forcing users to
have the same bookmarks unless they want to.

- Jeff Gima
Long Beach Public Library

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 07:48:30 -0700 (PDT), "Reed, Tracey"
<treed at clearwater-fl.com> said:
> Greetings Web4Libbers!
>
> We just recently upgraded most of our staff computers to Windows 2000.
> One
> of the big problems we're encountering is the fact that when two or
> more
> people share a computer on a desk, they cannot share the bookmarks (ok,
> favorites) folder between users.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible?  I can't seem to find the share
> features
> for that folder, seeing as how M$ has decided it's a system folder????
>
> ARRRRGGGGHHHH!
>
> -t
>
> ___________________
> Tracey Reed
> Webmaster
> Clearwater Public Library System
> treed at clearwater-fl.com
> If the eyes are the windows of the soul, then words are the doorbells
> of the
> mind.
> -Josh Wilson, Australian journalist, The Weekend Australian, 2002

Jeff Hiroshi Gima
email: gima at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu

/ /\ \/ /\ \/ / A guide to news, music and other resources/\ \/ /\ \
\/  \/\/  \/\/ http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~gima/zimbabwe/  \/  \/\/  \/