[WEB4LIB] More Library News From the State of Washington

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Wed Aug 21 11:37:27 EDT 2002

	Goddess, people can be really stupid. The quote that hit me just below the
beltline was the fact that the annual salary of $1,000 for the head librarian
was far too much, and that combined with health benefits, these things really
add up. I've printed out the article and it's making its rounds of the library
here in Yakima. This doesn't surprise me too much. I've been to the upper
northern regions of my state and yeah, there's some really whacked out people
up there with ideas on fundamentalist biblical politics. Sounds like something
similar is afloat here.
	Keep in mind that the governor of Washington was all set to close the state
library too. This would have made us the only state in the United States
without a state library. He said we didn't really need it. Washington
libraries are really feeling the pressure as other libraries all over. Even
ours has had more than its fair share of controversy. Hopefully, the
institution pulls out of this thing relatively unscathed.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill