[WEB4LIB] Re: Arial MS Unicode Font

Howard Pasternack Howard_Pasternack at brown.edu
Wed Aug 21 10:34:59 EDT 2002

A couple of comments about Arial MS Unicode. The great advantage of this
font is that it is in fact Unicode and that it supports a great variety of
glyphs in various Western and Asian languages.  With multi-character opacs
it works very well, especially when one record is in Korean, and a
scholarly work about the same topic might be in Japanese. The fonts
distributed with the Global IMEs do not provide the same functionality, and
in the case of opacs which output in Unicode, the fonts do not even display
all the glyphs correctly.  So, they really are not a
substitute.  Bitstream, has also stopped distributing its Unicode
font.  So, the only real alternatives are the commercial products.

The issue is really not one of configuring an indiividual workstation in
the Library.  That is a fairly simple task.  The issue is assisting a user
outside of the library to configure a PC to read non-Western scripts output
the library.  Many opacs, my own included, provided a help screen which
directed the user to download the Microsoft font and to configure the
browser accordingly.  The instructions were simple and easy to follow for a
user with modest technical skills.  However, the links are now dead and a
substitute is not at hand.

The problem will disappear eventually as more machines upgrade to XP or get
replaced.  But for the moment it is there.  My own institution will be
looking at site licensing NJStar.  -- Howard